Plesant but cold- 4 [degrees] below zero tonight-
Made oat flake cookies^ and stewed apples** today-
Done all the chores but Aunty went to barn this P.M. and brought in the sick white rooster.
Rec'd letter from Clara today-
Iliff called this eve-
*Aunt Emmaline refers to the wife of Eli Dolton. Eli & Willet Dolton were brothers. Willet was Willard's father. Willard was Irene's husband & Iliff's (Sr.) father.
^The oat flake cookies have made another appearance. I warned, you she makes them a lot!
**Stewed apples & prunes were popular with Irene too. I found a simple stewed apples recipe on Penny's Recipes by Penny Ritson.
1-2 apples per person, peeled and chopped
Splash of apple juice (or water)
1 teaspoon of sugar per apple
- Place the apples, juice/water and sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan
- Heat up on a medium heat until bubbling
- Stir, cover with a lid and turn down heat a little
- Cook for 20-30 minutes until soft (depends on type of apple)
- Adjust liquid as necessary